Skip to main content
Wooden Boat Building and Restoration

Interior Hull Disassembled and Stripped


The next task was to completely disassemble the hull interior to allow me to replace the frames and transom, and also repair the stem and damaged lapstrake areas. Additionally, complete disassembly will allow stripping all the painted areas right down to bare wood. Upon completion, damage to the lapstrakes was revealed which was a bit more extensive than was obvious prior to stripping the paint.

The task began with removing the deck beams, and breasthook. Next was disassembling the floor framing.  I carefully marked and measured everything prior to disassembly so they can be reassembled as was initially built. This went quickly and easily as it was all fastened together with screws and all that was involved was unscrewing it. There were a few broken screws to contend with though (click on an image to zoom it).


Next was removing the rubrails and sheer clamps. They all came off without too much fuss as well. Again, a few broken screws to contend with and a few of them were tough to get at. This is were I encountered the most rot issues, particularly in the areas where the dashboard butts up against the sheer clamps under the windshield frame.  

The locations of the seat support rails and engine controller mount were carefully recorded and then were removed (click on an image to zoom it).





The last thing I did before beginning the process of stripping paint was to remove every other frame. I plan to replace the frames in two phases, only replacing every other frame during each phase, to lessen the risk of loosing or distorting the hull's shape in replacing them all at once (click on an image to zoom it).


The interior still had its original paint showing, it had never been repainted over the boat's life. So with only the original coating of paint to contend with, I went to a less expensive, lighter duty, paint remover (than I used on the hull exterior) and used Ready Strip Pro made by Back to Nature, the same company the makes Aqua Strip (which I was quite impressed with when stripping the hull bottom). I followed the same process that I followed with Aqua Strip; apply the stripper (at the end of the day), cover with plastic wrap, let it sit overnight, scrap off the paint with a carbide scrapper in the morning. It worked quite well, required only one application, and there were not toxic fumes to deal with (click on an image to zoom it).


Completing the process of stripping paint revealed more damage to the lapstrakes than was initially apparent which will have to be repaired. Some of it can be repaired by simply replacing the outermost veneer layer. Damage deeper than the first ply will have to be cut out and replaced. Again, the most severe damage was along the area where the dashboard butts against the hull directly under the area where the windshield is mounted (click on an image to zoom it).



So with this arduous task done, its time to start have some fun making some repairs and putting her all back together again!