With the completion of planks repairs, a repaired stem, a new transom, new deck beams, sheer clamps, and gunwales. it was time to do some painting.
I’ve heard a lot about penetrating epoxies, such as Smith's CPES and Total Boat’s Penetrating Epoxy. I am a bit skeptical of the stuff. Don Danenburg, a well regarded and respected wooden boat runabout restorer loves the stuff. He is the author of The Complete Wooden Runabout Restoration Guide which many think of as the bible for restoring classic wood runabouts. My wooden boat school instructor thinks penetrating epoxies are snake oil, just overly thinned epoxy.
Given the age of the original marine plywood on this boat, and after a lot of thought, I decided that before painting it, protecting it with a couple of coats of penetrating epoxy just may be a good idea. So I applied two coats of Total Boat's Penetrating Epoxy.
Next I sprayed on a couple of coats of primer followed by topcoat to the hull exterior. For primer I used Interlux Epoxy Primekote. For topcoat paint I used Interlux Perfection two-part Polyurethane - Artic White. Next was a couple of coats of bottom paint. I used Interlux Micron CSC - Green for the bottom coat. Last I brushed on a black boot stripe with Interlux Brightside Boottop and Striping Enamel paint. With that done the boat jumped to life.
Next was the interior. Same thing, I sprayed a couple of coats of primer followed by a couple of coats of top coat paint. For primer, again, I used Interlux Epoxy Primekote. And again, for topcoat paint I used Interlux Perfection two-part Polyurethane - Matterhorn White. But this time I used a flattening agent with the top coat paint so the inside of the boat would not be too glossy... a glossy interior paint finish is kind of tough on the eyes on a sunny day out on the lake. Lastly I brushed on a couple of coats of grey bilge paint to for the boats’ bilge area. I used Interlux Bilgekote for the bilge paint.