Double Layer Bottom Complete
The new double layer bottom has been applied to the Yankee Tender. I followed the procedure as outlined in an old 2-part article from WoodenBoat magazine (issues #30 and #31) entitled "Building a Flat Bottom Skiff".
The project began by flipping the boat over and stripping the bottom paint off... a messy task. There are a number of methods to remove paint... chemical stripping was my choice for dealing with bottom paint as I find it the most manageable way of safely containing and disposing of this toxic stuff.
Next the keel was removed... it was a simple matter of unscrewing it from the bottom. You can see some traces of the original teal colored bottom paint.
The bottom was then sanded to remove the bottom paint residue and then carefully planed flat over each seam, with the objective of creating a flat surface for each individual bottom plank of the new second layer, removing the least amount of material possible while maintaining a nice fair bottom curvature.
Next was up was milling the new bottom planks. I was surprised to find some nice clear (few knots) ⅞" thick white cedar at my local Home Depot store here in Duluth. I put my new bandsaw to work and resawed the cedar and then planed it successfully obtaining two ⅜" pieces from each ⅞" thick board.
Next a ⅜" thick plank was spiled and attached, using silicon bronze annular ringed nails, in a thick coat of bedding compound along the chine, from stem to stern, covering the end seams of the original bottom planks. If I was to do this again, I would make this plank a about ¾" narrower.
Then the new bottom planks were rough cut to length and coated with boiled linseed oil as was the original bottom planks.
After the linseed oil dried overnight, a layer of Dolfinte bedding compound, thinned 50% with boiled linseed oil, was applied to the bottom using a ¼" notched trowel. A layer of muslin cloth was laid down over the bottom and rolled into the bedding compound followed by a topcoat of thinned bedding compound. Finally the new bottom was nailed down, using silicon bronze annular ringed nails, staggered over the seams of the original bottom planks and trimmed to size. The keel was then reattached.
All that remains to do is to repaint. However, I have found that linseed oil is seeping from between the new planks and am putting off applying paint until the linseed oil ceases to seep and has thoroughly dried. I don't know if this a normal situation or if I thinned the bedding compound with too much linseed oil... either way it ought to eventually dry.